With so many small businesses on the internet, finding your way to bringing in more customers and generating bigger profits means employing effective internet marketing techniques. One of the most effective is search engine optimisation or SEO.
What is SEO? Search engine optimisation is incorporating keywords and key phrases that are used by potential customers in search engines when they are looking for information on the products or services that you offer into the content that is either on or linked to your website.
For example, if you sell “school shoes”, people who are looking for information on or to buy “school shoes” may type into search engines “Where to buy school shoes”. The automated algorithms used by Google will then match the query to content that best fits what the person is searching.
The more your content incorporates effective keywords or key phrases, the higher up it will appear on search results pages. There are other contributing factors as well, including the overall quality of the content, backlinks, social media connections and so forth.
SEO is the amalgamation of all these passive techniques that put your website near the top of search results pages where more potential customers choose from to find the information that they seek. In fact, there are five good reasons why your small business should be incorporating search engine optimisation techniques.
The 5 Reasons Your Small Business should be using SEO
1) The Enormous use Search. For consumers, search engines are the modern day version of the Yellow Pages. Once upon a time if you needed to find a local plumber, dentist or carpet clear you’d use the Yellow Pages. Nowadays the ‘go to’ to find anything is search – on a computer, mobile or tablet. So if this how consumers are finding businesses, as a business owner you MUST consider search in your marketing mix.
2) SEO Brings Customers to You. Outbound marketing efforts can be expensive and challenging. So it’s an attractive proposition for any business to have customers come to you instead. SEO is perhaps the most efficient means of attracting new customers to your website since the people who are guided there through your SEO efforts are already interested.
3) Build up your Business Brand. Good brand awareness helps your small business achieve greater sales in the long run. Effective SEO techniques keep your content near the top of search results pages, resulting in greater, overall brand awareness that pays off.
4) Raise Conversion Rates. Because SEO techniques are relatively simple to employ with mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, you can speed up the process where people find you and make purchases. This is because an SEO optimised site is built to be fast and clean, making it more likely to convert those who come to your site into customers.
5) Create a Better, Customer Friendly Website. The use of proper SEO techniques means that your small business website will become cleaner, faster, easier to navigate and overall more user-friendly. This is very important to potential customers who find you through search results pages. By having a simple, attractive website that is easy to navigate, you generate more sales from your customers.
For more information about how SEO can help your small business, give us a call or drop us an email. You’ll be surprised how affordable it can be.